Pretty Good Day in Spite of a Miserable Night

September 3, 2009 at 7:52 pm (Daily Workouts/Eats, General Life Updates)

I didn’t work out last night. I got more and more miserable as the evening wore on. I went to bed at 10:00 PM. Earliest I’ve gone to bed in a long time. Unfortunately, this doesn’t mean I got more sleep than normal, in fact the opposite is true. I was basically up all night. I don’t think I got one consecutive hour of sleep all. night. long. I was up so much that I worked up an appetite – at about 4:30 AM my stomach was growling so painfully that I had to go downstairs and grab some goldfish to try and assuage it until breakfast. I blew my nose, coughed, tossed and turned. It was a horrible night. I kept thinking, if this is how K2 was feeling those nights he woke up 2 or 3 times crying, what more could I have done to make him feel better? Did I do enough?

Anyway, getting up this morning to take P to school wasn’t that hard since I wasn’t really asleep to begin with. Took her to school, came home and immediately took a shower. I was hoping that getting squeaky clean and marinated with some hot water would help me feel more human. It worked a little. Then I got K2 up and we started the day with some oatmeal – me with my green oats and him with his yogurt, oats, cinnamon mixture.

I killed time reading blogs and taking care of K2 until my nephew got here around 9:45. Spoke to my SIL for a few minutes before she left for her dentist appointment, and then at about 10:15 I woke K up so that I could go to the farmer’s market.

My first ever farmer’s market experience. It was kind of what I expected, and kind of not at the same time. There were only 2 things on my list that I didn’t see there, and K informed me after laughing at me for quite some time that no bananas are grown locally. So, no bananas. There were plenty of potatoes, but I really wanted sweet potatoes, and they didn’t have those.

But I did find fresh green beans (which I’ll probably have to eat since the kids don’t like the texture), carrots, peaches, apples, tomatoes, lettuce, zuchinni, pattypan or sunburst squash, eight ball squash (both of which I’m going to have to figure out how to prepare) and some okra (same thing). I got a watermelon for the kids and K (I don’t like watermelon – I know, I’m weird). I also got one green pepper. It was all pretty cheap and pretty exciting to try and find stuff I wanted to try. I would like to go back, but I’d also like to try other markets to see if there’s anything different offered. I enjoyed myself, despite the hot sun that made me sweat and the fact that I had to blow my nose every time I took some stuff back to the car. To get comfortable enough to try and buy anything, I walked up and down the whole market a couple of times, and even then I was kind of tentative and it took me probably about 10 trips up and down before I was done. But it wasn’t a huge market, so they were short trips.

When I got home and had unloaded everything, my SIL arrived to pick up her boy. They didn’t stay chatting long, although O wanted to stay. Then we loaded up to go try and start up my other SIL’s old car that K’s going to use for a while. It started, but wouldn’t stay running because it needs a new battery. So we drove down to the location of my race on Saturday so that I knew how to get there, and then we went and bought a battery. By the time we got home, it was after 2 PM, so I fed the kids a snack and put K2 down for a nap and then finally got my lunch.

Then I started P on her homework, waited until K got home to finish helping her, and headed off to take a nap myself. Once again, it wasn’t very restful but I did get some sleep. I got up at 5PM when I heard K in the shower and went downstairs to start dinner. We had decided earlier to have pancakes and eggs, but I wanted to try making my blender whole wheat pancakes again. I modified the recipe a little, and I think they were pretty good. I also think it was pretty clever of me to add the zuchinni. Here’s the recipe:

1.5 cups milk
1 cup whole wheat kernels
2 small handfuls of oatmeal (probably about 1/2 cup)

Put this in the blender and blend until the wheat is broken and smooth. Today, I added two handfuls of quick oats to try and beef them up a little since they were so thin last time.

2 tsp baking powder
1 T coconut oil
1 T applesauce (recipe calls for 2 T of oil, but I modified it slightly)
2 eggs
2 T honey
1 shredded zuchinni

Add all the rest of this stuff to blender, and blend until its the consistency you want.

I took some of the mix out of the blender before I added the zuchinni, just in case the kids wouldn’t eat it with the zuchinni. But P had some of each kind without even noticing. Yay! Veggies in the kids!! I had 4 small pancakes with a YoPlus yogurt spread over them. They were very filling and tasty.

There was a lot more mix than there was appetite around here tonight since K didn’t have any, so I made two batches of 6 each to freeze for toasting quick pancake breakfasts on another day. I always feel inordinately proud of myself when an experiment like this goes well. Pretty silly really.

Tonight, the kids will be going to bed soon. I still feel pretty crappy but I’m going to try to run a little, perhaps 20 minutes. I’m not going to the office tomorrow. And the race is coming up fast – what crappy timing to get a cold!!

Down to 187.5 this morning – a new low. Probably because I burnt so many calories by being up all night?? 🙂 Ugh.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: